Essential Items and Packing List
Equipment and Clothing
Rucksack - 65 litres maximum – Line with strong plastic bag. Ideally bigger enough to occasionally fit a daysack in the top.
• Choose one with a number of separate compartments (side pouches and a bottom section). Useful zipped section at top.
• Good waist belt & well-padded shoulder straps.
• Bright colour – more likely to spot it being ‘accidentally’ unloaded from the bus!
• Strong material.
When packing, we suggest being organised; it will make your life much easier and you will be able to spot things being planted on you. Items you will often use need to be in a compartment that can be easily reached. Stuff sacks are a great way to assist with this.
Objective’s Essential Travel Items Check List:
• Money belt – with a clip fastener or Stretchy Spi-Belt Pouch
• Day sack: 15 - 20L max.•
• First-aid kit and sterile needle set.
• Head torch/small torch. The Petzl Zipka or Tikka LED head torch is recommended.
• Hats appropriate to environment.
• 2 x Padlocks (for lockers, rucksacks plus small chain – combination lock not key).
• Sun cream - with high UVA and UVB protection.
• Water bottle, perhaps with built-in purification filter) plus purification tablets Water bottle & Water Bottle Purification Cap
• Penknife/leatherman – make sure it’s not in your hand luggage when flying!
• Sleeping bag liner - cotton, silk or artificial silk.
• Travel towel or extra sarongs to use as towel.
• Mosquito net.
• Insect repellent – suggest with DEET content of 30 - 50% or use organic variants e.g. PreVent.
• Wet wipes/alcohol wipes – keeping hands hygienically clean will prevent diarrhoea.
Useful items to take when Travelling and Backpacking:
• Series of stuff sacks for clothes, gadgets etc.
• Whistle / Rape alarm.
• Mug & knife, fork & spoon.
• Mini binoculars – ideal for birds and wildlife (thoroughly recommended).
• Compass - if travelling in remote areas.
• Cagoule/waterproof jacket/poncho.
• Universal sink plug as all stolen in hostels.
• Travel head pillow or empty pillow case - use your clothes to make a pillow.
• Medical book – Bugs, Bites or Bowels, Traveller’s Health or Rough Guide to Travel Health.
• Cargo strap to use as safety belt on buses when not provided (often!).
• Door lock.
• Travel wash.
• Tupperware of useful things.
• Sewing kit.
• Masking tape.
• Space blanket.
Travel Electrical Goods:
• Universal power adaptor.
• Digital camera.
• Digital card reader – for ease of downloading photos onto Internet.
• Mobile phone, Smart phone (wifi in hostels) & perhaps old Nokia for street use.
• Power Bank - Extra charging device.
• Solar chargers for mobiles / ipads.
Lightweight Clothes and Footwear:
We suggest only taking the minimum; good cheap clothes can be bought overseas. If you are going to harsh climates or trekking, then a little more warm clothing may be needed, but layering is the best solution. Don’t take any military style clothing and avoid white clothes (difficult to keep clean).
• 2 x long baggy cotton or linen trousers.
• 2 x cotton long sleeve shirts.
• A few T-shirts.
• 2 pairs shorts.
• Sarong or equivalent - (ideal for visiting temples/mosques).
• Fleece or sweatshirt.
• 1 x non-crease skirt (for the girls).
• Wash bag (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, liquid soap/soap in dish, razors).
• Leggings for girls.
Suggested Comfortable Footwear:
We suggest you are also likely to need:
• Pair of sturdy footwear. Trainers / Cross trainers or Gore-Tex walking boots.
• Pair of flip-flops or sandals (Teva sandals with rear ankles straps are very practical, even if not a fashion item!)
• Possibly a pair of flat shoes.
View our range of Kit for Sale for Gap Year Travellers/Backpackers
|Tue 14 Dec 21||Virtual||5||left|
|Wed 15 Dec 21||London||1||left|
|Mon 20 Dec 21||London||0||left|
|Tue 21 Dec 21||London||9||left|
|Tue 04 Jan 22||London||7||left|
|Wed 05 Jan 22||Northants||9||left|
|Thu 13 Jan 22||London||11||left|
02 Dec, 2021
Cases of Covid-19 are now slowing and travel is beginning to open up. However, some countries such as Uruguay remain closed to foreign nationals and all those open have strict entr...
01 Dec, 2021
Global: FCO advises against all travel overseas
Covid -19 over 4m deaths & 187m cases globally
Canada: Heavy rains in NW areas
20 Oct, 2021
Virtual Gap Year Travel and Safety Course
Our courses have been created as we understand the need for safety training for those planning a gap year travelling and our virtual course gives...